1/2 Photos of Stir-Fried Hoisin Chicken With Sesame Seeds
Chicagoland Chef du Jour's Note:
Simply delicious. Even my picky kids approved! I used black sesame seeds and it works out well. I think the white sesame seeds would offer a better color contrast in the dish. Frankly, I don't think the water chestnuts would be missed. Take care not to over cook, the veggies will be mushy and the chicken tough. Another great recipe from "The Big Book of Chicken" by Maryana Vollstedt. Great with my recipe for Thai Cucumber Salad Thai Cucumber Salad UPDATE: 5/11 I have made this several time since I first posted. Feel free to add mushrooms, pea pods, green beans, matchstick carrots or any of your favorite Asian friendly veggies.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil, sub. peanut oil, more as needed
- 3 tablespoons sesame seeds
- 1 tablespoon ginger, peeled, chopped
- 1 lb chicken breast, cut into bite-sized pieces
- 1/2 cup yellow onion, chopped 1-inch pieces
- 1/2 cup red bell pepper, 1-inch pieces
- 1/2 tablespoon salt
- 4 ounces water chestnuts, course shop, approx. 1/2 can
- 1/3 cup hoisin sauce
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons rice wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 cup long grain white rice, cooked
- 1/4 cup green onion, sliced, with tender green stems for garnish
- 1In a wok or large skillet over medium-high heat, warm the oil.
- 2Add the sesame seeds and ginger to the oil and saute until fragrant and seeds golden, about 2 minutes *CAREFUL have a lid ready, it pops!
- 3Add the onions, bell pepper and salt. Saute for 1 minute.
- 4Add the chicken, more oil if necessary and continue to saute until chicken is cooked through and no longer pink.
- 5Add water chestnuts, hoisin sauce, soy sauce, Worcestershire sauce, vinegar. cook until flavors are well blended, about 2-3 minutes.
- 6Serve over rice and top with green onions.
Browse Our Top Chinese Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Stir-Fried Hoisin Chicken With Sesame Seeds
Serving Size: 1 (273 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 531.0
- Calories from Fat 166
- Total Fat 18.4 g
- Saturated Fat 4.1 g
- Cholesterol 73.2 mg
- Sodium 1562.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 59.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.9 g
- Sugars 9.2 g
- Protein 30.3 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
rice wine vinegar