Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
This side dish is a must for Asian inspired entrées.
- 2 -4 cups peeled carrots, cut into 1/4 inch rounds
- 3 garlic cloves, smashed
- 1 teaspoon grated gingerroot
- 1 teaspoon cracked black pepper
- olive oil, to coat bottom of pan
- Heat an iron skillet or wok on medium/high heat and add just enough olive oil to coat the bottom of pan.
- Once pan is hot, add the smashed garlic and toss for several minutes to flavor the oil, careful not to let it burn.Leave the garlic in the pan and add the rest of the ingredients, give a good stir, and allow enough time between stirrings to let the carrots caramelize and get a crust.
- Once carrots have caramelized , lower heat to medium--medium/low and continue cooking, stirring periodically, until carrots have reached desired doneness.
- Cooking time is not approximate as some may prefer their carrots to retain some crunchiness, but to assure maximum sweetness, I recommend cooking till all carrots are soft throughout, which on the average, is about 10-15 minutes after caramelize process is complete.