Recipe by Pets'R'us
An inexpensive Chinese side dish. It is very quick to cook. I make this often, and sometimes add a chopped onion together with the cucumbers. The black beans I buy in an Asian supermarket, they are soya beans and salted. The recipe is from a Ken Hom cookbook
Top Review by Tikki
This recipe was kind of bland by itself, but when added on top of homemade cheesy mashed potatoes, it was wonderful! I used the chili powder and only half of the sesame sauce that it called for and enjoyed it as a topping.
- 1 1⁄2 lbs cucumbers
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1⁄4 teaspoon chili bean sauce or 1⁄4 teaspoon chili powder
- 4 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons black beans, coarsely chopped
- 4 fluid ounces water
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons sesame oil
Directions See How It's Made
- Peel the cucumbers, cut them in half lengthways and remove the seeds using a teaspoon.
- Cut the cucumber in 1 inch cubes, put them in a colander, sprinkle with the salt, mix and let them stand for about 20 minutes to drain excess liquid.
- Then rinse them in water and dry them with kitchen paper.
- Heat a wok, then add the oil, when the oil is hot adding the bean sauce, garlic and black beans, stir-fry for 30 seconds.
- Now add the cucumbers, fry them until coated with the spices, add the water and go on stir-frying for several minutes on a high heat until most of the water has evaporated.
- Add the sesame oil, mix and serve.