Adapted from a 1973 book called "Chinese Cookery"
Make and share this Stir Fried Chicken With Cashews recipe from Food.com.
- 3 cups chicken breasts, cubed
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 3 1⁄2 tablespoons cooking sherry
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 2 slices gingerroot, minced
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1⁄4 cup chicken broth
- 1⁄3 cup roasted cashews
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch (dissolved in 1 tsp water)
- In a large bowl, combine cubed chicken, ONE tablespoon of cornstarch, and TWO tablespoons of sherry. Mix thoroughly.
- Mix soy sauce, sesame oil, sugar, broth, and remaining 1.5 tbs sherry. Set aside.
- Heat 2 tbs vegetable oil in a wok or large skillet. Add chicken and stir fry until lightly browned. Remove chicken from pan.
- Add the rest of the oil to pan. Stir fry the onions, garlic, and ginger root. for about 1 minute. Add cashews and stir to coat.
- Return chicken to pan and add soy sauce mixture. Bring to a boil and stir in the cornstarch mixture to thicken.
- Serve hot.