Recipe by Manami
"Pungent and salty, preserved snow cabbage is a great flavor-booster in this fresh-tasting stir-fry." Bon Apetit, May 2007. Usiing a combinations of red, orange & yellow peppers would make it appetizing and pretty to look at. Miami doesn't have much of a "Chinatown" so I often rely on gourmet markets that carry Asian products.
- 1 lb skinless chicken breast half
- 1 egg white
- 2 teaspoons soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons shaoxing wine (Chinese rice wine) or 2 teaspoons dry sherry
- 1 tablespoon shaoxing wine (Chinese rice wine) or 1 tablespoon dry sherry
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1⁄4 teaspoon white pepper
- 3 teaspoons sesame oil, divided
- 1 (6 1/2 ounce) canpreserved snow cabbage, well drained
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 2 tablespoons peanut oil or 2 tablespoons vegetable oil, divided
- 1 medium red bell pepper, cut into matchstick-size strips
- 1 medium green bell pepper, cut into matchstick-size strips
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
Directions See How It's Made
- Cut boneless chicken breast crosswise into 1/4-inch-thick slices, then stack slices and cut into matchstick-size strips.
- Whisk egg white in small bowl until foamy; transfer 1 tablespoon to medium bowl (reserve remaining egg white for another use).
- Add chicken to bowl with egg white.
- Add soy sauce, 2 teaspoons rice wine, cornstarch, and white pepper; toss to coat.
- Mix in 2 teaspoons sesame oil.
- Let stand 15 minutes.
- Mix preserved snow cabbage and sugar in small bowl.
- Heat 14" diameter flat-bottomed wok or heavy 12-inch-diameter skillet over high heat until drop of water added to wok evaporates on contact.
- Add 1 tablespoon peanut oil and swirl to coat wok.
- Add sliced chicken breast, spreading evenly.
- Cook without stirring 30 seconds, then stir-fry until sliced chicken is no longer pink, about 2 minutes.
- Transfer chicken slices to plate.
- Add remaining 1 tablespoon peanut oil to wok, then add red and green bell peppers and stir-fry until beginning to soften, about 2 minutes.
- Stir in snow cabbage mixture and salt.
- Return chicken to wok; add remaining 1 tablespoon rice wine and stir-fry until chicken is just cooked through, about 1 minute.
- Remove pan from heat.
- Stir in remaining 1 teaspoon Asian sesame oil into stir-fry and serve.
- Serve with brown rice and a sliced marinated tomato salad (go out of the box completely!).