Recipe by Skipper/Sy
La Caridad 78 Restaurant on the upper west side of Manhattan serves Comidas China y Criolla cuisine (The meal of Chinese and Spanish-speaking Caribbean & Latin America Cuisines). I have often had this dish for lunch along with Spanish yellow rice and Cuban black beans. This is my version of this tasty dish and it is easy to make.
- 1 lb chicken liver
- 1⁄2 cup chopped green pepper
- 1⁄2 cup chopped onion
- 2 tablespoons light soy sauce
- 1⁄4 tablespoon sesame oil
- 2 tablespoons peanut oil
- 1 tablespoon rice wine (optional)
- salt and pepper, to taste
Directions See How It's Made
- Clean the chicken livers by removing the fat and grizzle, if individual pieces are in two sections cut in half, rinse under cold water and drain, set aside.
- Remove the core and seeds from the green pepper and coarse chop, set aside.
- Remove the outer skin of the onion and coarse chop, set aside.
- In a small dish add the soy sauce, sesame oil, rice wine (optional) and salt & pepper to taste, set aside.
- In a small dish add the peanut oil, set aside.
- Cooking Directions:.
- Place the chicken livers in a broiling pan (Ok to use tin foil for easy clean up), broil for about 10-15 minutes on one side, then turn and continue broiling for about 10 more minutes on the second side (times will vary based on the type of broiler used), set aside.
- In a wok add the peanut oil and when hot add the green peppers and onions, then stir-fry for 1 minute.
- Add the soy sauce mixture and stir-fry for about 1 minute.
- Add the chicken livers and stir-fry for about 1-2 minutes.
- On individual serving plates place the chicken livers along with some yellow Spanish rice (optional) and Cuban black beans (optional).
- Serve and Enjoy!
- You can double the recipe ingredients to serve 4 people (times may vary) and also this recipe can be served as a side dish as well Further, I have tried first placing the chicken livers in hot oil and then drained. Then I added to the wok, but the chicken livers still releases a lot of liquid which will become cloudy and a runny sauce (not to appealing).