Recipe by ellie_
I came across this recipe when looking for something interesting to do with some cauliflower and this is definitely a change from boiled or steamed cauliflower and a great side dish with chicken or fish. Recipe source: Bon Appetit (March 1985)
- 1⁄4 cup vegetable oil
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cumin seed
- 3⁄4 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 1⁄2 teaspoon onion seeds or 1⁄4 teaspoon dried onion flakes
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 cauliflower, cut into florets (and/or 1 - 1/2 inch pieces)
- 1 potato, peeled and cut into 1 1/2 inch pieces
- 1⁄3 teaspoon turmeric
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 2 jalapeno chiles, shredded (wear gloves and/or use a food processor)
- 2 tablespoons ginger, shredded
- 2 tablespoons cilantro, chopped
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat oil in large skillet over medium high heat. Add cumin, mustard, fennel and onion seeds (or onion flakes) and cook stirring for 30 seconds.
- Add onion and cook for another 2 minutes.
- Add cauliflower, potato, turmeric and salt and cook for another three minutes, stirring to combine and so cauliflower doesn't burn.
- Add water, chilies and ginger. Reduce heat to med-low, cover and cook for 30 minutes.
- Uncover and increase heat to high and cook until liquid evaporates (5-10 minutes).
- Transfer to serving dish and sprinkle with cilantro and lemon juice.