Recipe by Mrs. Grosh
Broccoli Pad Nahm Man Hoi. An authentic Thai dish from cooking instructor, Kasma Loha-unchit Clark, www.thaifoodandtravel.com.
Top Review by Luvs 2 Cook
Mrs. Gosh thank you for a good recipe. I think the oyster and fish sauce made it a little to salty for our taste though. I will try again and lessen both sauces; otherwise the flavor was good.
- 2 medium stalk broccoli, cut in small bite-size pieces
- 4 garlic cloves, chopped
- 2 -3 sliced shallots (optional) or 1⁄2 cup sliced onion (optional)
- 2 tablespoons peanut oil, for stir-frying
- 2 -3 tablespoons thai oyster sauce (nahm man hoi)
- 2 -3 teaspoons fish sauce, to taste (nahm bplah)
- generous sprinkling white pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat a wok over high heat until it begins to smoke. Swirl in the oil to coat its surface evenly. Let the oil heat for 15-20 seconds.
- Add chopped garlic, followed 10 seconds later with the sliced shallots or onion (if using). Saute 15-20 seconds to flavor the oil.
- Add broccoli. Toss with the oil for about a minute before sprinkling with oyster sauce to lightly coat the pieces. Stir-fry another minute.
- Season with fish sauce.
- If the stove is very hot, add 1-2 tablespoons water as needed to help steam the vegetable so it doesn't burn.
- Continue to stir-fry until broccoli turns vibrant green and is crisply cooked.
- Sprinkle generously with white pepper, stir well and transfer to serving dish.
- Serve warm along with other dishes and steamed rice.