Prep 10 mins
Cook 45 mins
from Cooking Light. Posted for safe-keeping. A lot of the cooking til is passive. Serving size: 2/3 cup.
- 1 cup boiling water
- 8 dried shiitake mushrooms (about 2 ounces)
- 2 tablespoons low sodium soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon rice wine or 1 tablespoon dry sherry
- 1⁄2 teaspoon sugar
- 4 teaspoons canola oil, divided
- 1 teaspoon ginger, minced and peeled
- 1⁄2 cup reduced-sodium fat-free chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons oyster sauce
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cornstarch
- 2 medium garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 8 heads baby bok choy, halved lengthwise
- 1 medium head romaine lettuce, cut crosswise into 1-inch pieces (about 8 cups)
- Combine 1 cup boiling water and shiitake mushrooms in a bowl; cover and let stand 20 minutes. Drain mushrooms in a colander over a bowl, reserving liquid. Rinse mushrooms. Remove and discard stems; cut each cap into quarters. Set aside.
- Combine soy sauce, wine, and sugar in a small bowl, stirring with a whisk.
- Heat a small saucepan over medium-high heat. Add 1 teaspoon oil and ginger to pan; sauté 30 seconds. Add reserved mushrooms; sauté 1 minute. Add reserved mushroom liquid and broth; bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 20 minutes.
- Combine oyster sauce and cornstarch in a small bowl, stirring with a whisk; stir into mushroom mixture. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly. Cook 1 minute or until thickened. Remove from heat; keep warm.
- Heat a wok or large skillet over high heat. Add remaining 1 tablespoon oil to pan. Add garlic; stir-fry 10 seconds. Add bok choy; stir-fry 2 minutes or until bok choy begins to soften. Add lettuce; stir-fry 2 minutes or until lettuce wilts. Stir in mushroom mixture and soy sauce mixture; cook 3 minutes or until bok choy is tender.