Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 10 mins
Cook 15 mins
This dish comes from Karaikal, a small ex-French enclave south of Pondicherry
Make and share this Stir-Fried Beef With Coconut recipe from Food.com.
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon turmeric
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 300 g beef rump, cut-into thin slices, about 1-inch square
- 10 curry leaves
- 3 whole dried chilies
- 30 g dehydrated flaked coconut
- 2 medium tomatoes, finely chopped
- 1⁄2 teaspoon coriander seed
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cumin seed
- 5 black peppercorns
- 1 pinch fenugreek seeds
- 1 pinch anise seed
- 1⁄2 star anise, pod
- 1⁄4 inch cinnamon stick
- Mix the chili powder, turmeric and salt with 1 tablespoon of oil and rub the mixture into the beef slices. Set aside.
- Dry-roast the spice mix ingredients together over medium heat for 1 minute, taking care that they do not burn, then grind them into a fine powder.
- Heat remaining oil in wok and put the curry leaves and the dried red chillies each torn in 2 or 3 pieces. Add the beef and coconut chips, retaining some of the chips for the garnish, and saute over high heat until the meat is seared on both sides.
- Reduce the heat and add the tomatoes, the ground spices and salt to taste. Stir-fry until the meat is done, about 2 to 3 minutes.
- Serve hot, garnished with coconut chips.