Prep 30 mins
Cook 15 mins
I have not made this but I hope to soon. Posted for ZWT#6 2010
- 4 tablespoons oil
- 2 cups basil, stems removed
- 3 tablespoons minced garlic
- 4 tablespoons minced shallots
- 2 -3 tablespoons minced red chilies
- 500 g beef sirloin or 500 g flank steaks, thinly sliced
- 200 g green beans
- 5 cm ginger, peeled and cut into thin strips
- 1 tablespoon fish sauce
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons oyster sauce
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 95 g roasted unsalted cashews (optional)
- Heat the oil in or skillet over medium heat until hot and stir-fry 1/2 of the basil leaves for 2 to 3 minutes until crispy. Remove and drain on paper towels. Set aside.
- In the same pan, heat the leftover oil over medium heat and stir-fry the garlic, shallots and chillies for 2 to 3 minutes. Add the beef and stir-fry for 2 to 3 minutes until just cooked. Add the green beans and ginger, and season with the fish sauce, oyster sauce and sugar. Continue to stir-fry for another 2 to 3 minutes until the green beans are tender and cooked. Stir in the remaining basil leaves and remove from the heat.
- Transfer to a serving platter, garnish with cashew nuts and the reserved crispy fried basil leaves, and serve hot with steamed rice.
Delicious! I was tossing this together to use up some stuff I had in the kitchen (like the flank steak that was hogging up freezer space so my new ice cream maker bowl won't fit in there, lol), so I had to make a couple of slight changes. Some of my basil was slimy beyond hope (hate that, grr!), which only left me with about 1 1/2 cups basil, so I didn't bother frying any of it. I used Fresnos for the chiles and French green beans. No fresh gingerroot in the house, so I guesstimated and used about 2 tbs of Gourmet Garden ginger in a tube. I had plenty of fish sauce, but I forgot to pick up oyster sauce last weekend, so the closest sub I had in the house was Soy Vay Veri Veri Teriyaki sauce. I added 1 1/2 tbs of that and omitted the sugar because I didn't remember oyster sauce being sweet like teriyaki sauce. Lastly, I left out the cashews, mostly because I just didn't have any, partly because they're one of my least favorite nuts. This was simply perfect with Chinese-Style Sticky Rice! Definitely a keeper, thanks for posting! :) Made for The Queens of Quisine for ZWT6 Asia
This was awesome! Our last experience with fish sauce was so horrible that we vowed never to use it again. Well, we did last night & were pleasantly surprised. All things in moderation, right? I love fresh basil and it paired really well with the beef. I've never fried basil however, and I'm not convinced it added much as far as flavor went, but regardless, my whole family enjoyed this dish. Oh, the cashews are a must! Everyone wanted extra, extra, extra! :) Thanks for posting it, TJ! Made & enjoyed for ZWT6 Team Xtra Hot Dishes!