Recipe by Tea Jenny
This is a nice and spicy dish that has a lot of wonderful flavours and it is prepared in no time at all. Posted for ZWT#6.
- 4 tablespoons oil
- 5 bunches holy basil, stems removed to yield 2 cups
- 3 tablespoons minced garlic
- 4 tablespoons minced shallots
- 2 -3 tablespoons minced red chilies
- 500 g beef sirloin or 500 g flank steaks, thinly sliced
- 200 g green beans, cut into lengths to yield 2 cups
- 5 cm young ginger, peeled and cut into thin strips
- 1 tablespoon fish sauce
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons oyster sauce
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 95 g roasted unsalted cashews (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat the oil in or skillet over medium heat until hot and stir-fry 1/2 of the basil leaves for 2 to 3 minutes until crispy. Remove and drain on paper towels. Set aside.
- In the same pan, heat the leftover oil over medium heat and stir-fry the garlic, shallots and chillies for 2 to 3 minutes until fragrant. Add the beef and stir-fry for 2 to 3 minutes until just cooked. Add the green beans and ginger, and season with the fish sauce, oyster sauce and sugar. Continue to stir-fry for another 2 to 3 minutes until the green beans are tender and cooked. Stir in the remaining basil leaves and remove from the heat.
- Transfer to a serving platter, garnish with cashew nuts and the reserved crispy fried basil leaves, and serve hot with steamed rice.