Recipe by DeeDee
I found a stir fry bean sprout recipe on a web site. I made some changes, and added a few ingredients that we like. We really liked how light yet filling this dish was. We did notice however the soy sauce at the bottom of our plate when we finished. I suggest that the next time I make this, I'll mix a bit of corn starch with soy sauce or water and add it to thicken the sauce up a bit. This can be served as a main dish and serve 2, or it will serve 4 as a side dish.
- 2 tablespoons sesame oil
- 1 cup julliened carrot
- 3 scallions, sliced in 1-inch pieces
- 1 cup sliced mushrooms
- 1⁄2-1 cup sliced water chestnuts (depending on your taste)
- 1⁄2 lb shrimp (peeled and deveined)
- 1 lb bean sprouts (washed & dried)
- 1 tablespoon grated fresh gingerroot
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh garlic
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- salt & pepper
- red pepper flakes (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Mix the brown sugar in the soy sauce until dissolved and set aside.
- In large frying pan or wok, heat the oil on medium high.
- Saute carrots, scallions, and mushrooms, just until tender.
- Add the gingeroot and garlic, and season with salt and pepper. Add red pepper flakes if using.
- Stir until well mixed.
- Add the shrimp and soy sauce mixture and saute 3-5 minutes until the shrimp are cooked through.
- Add bean sprouts and stir until heated through. These don't take long. Just be sure not to overcook the beansprouts. They are best when still cruncy.