Prep 15 mins
Cook 15 mins
Tender crisp asparagus. An easy and tasty spring treat. If you like spicy, add dried chili flakes along with the shallots.
- 1 tablespoon chili-flavored olive oil or 1 tablespoon toasted chili oil
- 3 shallots, diced (about 2 ounces total or 6 tablespoons diced)
- 6 garlic cloves, minced (1 tablespoon)
- 1 lb asparagus, trimmed and cut into 2-inch long pieces
- 1⁄2 cup chicken broth or 1⁄2 cup beef broth
- 1 teaspoon salt (or to taste)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper (or to taste)
- Heat a non-stick wok or skillet over medium-high heat (375-425F / gas mark 5) for 30 seconds.
- Add chili oil, shallots, and garlic; saute until the shallots are tender and beginning to brown (2-3 minutes).
- Add asparagus and continue to cook until it begins to soften and color (2-3 minutes).
- Add stock; cook over medium heat (350F / gas mark 4) until asparagus is tender and all moisture has evaporated (5-10 minutes).
- Season with salt and pepper; toss until well mixed.
- Serve hot.
I would make this recipe again - but the low rating is for one reason. A teaspoon of salt is WAY too much, I can testify as a salt addict that the dish tastes great with the salt in the broth alone. Save your salt for when you make popcorn!
This is quite a nice, simple and deliciously flavored way to cook asparagus, and one cannot possibly have too many asparagus recipesI I used Asian chili flavored sesame oil in mine. I served this with Chicken Rama in Thai Peanut Sauce , as it needed a vegetable of some sort and this was perfectly paired on the side. Thanks for sharing! ~Sue
This was excellent. I made my own chili oil by slow cooking chili flakes in olive oil for a few minutes before turning up the heat and adding the garlic and shallots. Thanks little!