Prep 15 mins
Cook 15 mins
A sugary glaze of garlic and soy sauce lightly coats this stir-fried broccoli.
- 2 lbs fresh broccoli
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon granulated sugar
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1⁄4 cup vegetable oil
- Remove and discard broccoli leaves and tough ends of stalks. Wash broccoli thoroughly, and cut off flowerets; set aside. Cut stalks into 1/2-inch pieces; set aside.
- In a small bowl, combine cornstarch, sugar, and salt. Add chicken broth and soy sauce, stirring until smooth; set aside.
- In a wok or large skillet, sautè garlic in hot oil over medium-high heat until lightly browned.
- Add broccoli flowerets and stems; cook for 2 minutes, stirring constantly. Cover and cook an additional 2 minutes.
- Add broth mixture; cook, stirring constantly, 2 minutes or until sauce thickens.
Wow, this was delicious. I can see how this made it into someone's best of the year cookbook! I used beef broth since I had it open, so it tasted like beef and broccoli without the beef - perfect in my eyes. I also used 2 or 3 cloves of garlic for a half recipe and just half a tablespoon of oil. I added the garlic after the broccoli was mostly cooked so that it would not overbrown, and added the sauce after taking it off the heat. Next time I might try doubling the sauce to see if that works since the sauce makes it really yummy.
Very nice side dish. Easy too! I added a little sesame oil since we like the flavor in our stir fry! Made for Football Pool 2013.
Really nice flavour in this dish and we enjoyed it. I think the cooking time is off a bit. My broccoli was still really crunchy after the 4 minutes so I added 1 tbsp water, put the lid back on and gave it another 2 minutes, then it was cooked but still nicely crisp. Then I added the sauce in and finished it off. Will definitely make this again, thank you.