Recipe by I'mPat
From a low GI cookbook. Times are estimated. For a vegetarian version omit bacon. Given a low GI rating.
Top Review by YnkyGrlDwndr
I will do this again! I pretty much did my normal fried rice thing but used pearl barley instead of the rice. But I used the quantities of soy and sweet chili sauce. I added bacon, some leftover cooked chicken, frozen veggie mix (corn, peas & carrots) a red bell pepper. I added fresh garlic and ginger. Used a brown onion instead of spring onions because I didn't have any. I like how chewy it is... I think I would prefer this over using brown rice too. Made for AUS/NZ Recipe Swap #77
- 2 cups pearl barley (400grams/13oz)
- cooking spray
- 2 eggs (lightly beaten)
- 1⁄4 cup water (60ml/2floz)
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 1 teaspoon canola oil
- 3 spring onions (scallions sliced)
- 100 g fat free bacon (3 1/2oz chopped)
- 1 celery rib (medium sliced)
- 1 red capsicum (medium bell pepper diced)
- 1 carrot (medium diced)
- 1 cup peas (155g/5oz fresh or frozen)
- 200 g Broccolini (6 1/2oz chopped)
- 2 tablespoons reduced sodium soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon sweet chili sauce
- Cook the barley in a large pan of boiling water for 40 minutes or until soft, adding more water if necessary and then drain and set aside.
- Lightly spray a wok with canola oil spray and heat over medium heat,.
- Whisk together the eggs and 2 tablespoons of the water and pour into the wok and swirl to coat, cooking the omelette until set, lifting the egg to allow the uncooked egg to run underneath and then remove the omelette and drain on absorbent paper for 5 minutes and then shred into thin strips.
- Heat the oils in the wok and add the spring onions and bacon and stir fry for 3 minutes or until soft and then add the celery, capsicum, carrot and remaining water and stir fry for 5 minutes and then add the peas and broccolini and cook until tender.
- Stir in the barley and combined soy and sweet chilli sauces and cook until heated through and then fold through the omelette and serve.