Recipe by Pink Penguin
Nice with a salad and garlic bread.
Top Review by sandynw
This tart is Massive! I enjoyed it but would not make it again, it's not cheesy enough for my taste and overall quite lacking in flavour. It took a lot longer than twenty minutes to cook (nearer 35 mins) <br/>I added a few chives and a bit of fresh parsley to try and improve on the muddy colour of the filling, but it didn't help much. I'd also recommend giving the pastry base a 15 minute head start in the oven before adding the filling to avoid the soggy pastry at the bottom.
- 600 g onions
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 375 g ready rolled puff pastry
- 175 g Stilton cheese
- 50 g walnut pieces
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat the oven to 200°C/gas6.
- Peel the onions and thinly slice them.
- Heat the oil in a large frying pan, add the onions and fry until softened and lightly browned, stirring occasionally.
- Splash in the vinegar, season, then cook for a further 5 minutes until lightly caramelized. Leave to cool while you prepare the pastry.
- Use the pastry to line a 9x13 in oblong tin.
- Spread over the onions, then crumble the Stilton on top and scatter with walnuts. Bake for 15-20 minutes, until the pastry is crisp , golden and the cheese has melted.
- Cool the tart for 5 minutes before serving cut into squares.