Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr 20 mins
Delicious little savoury cookies, very moorish. These make great Christmas presents.
Make and share this Stilton & Poppy Seed Sables recipe from Food.com.
- In a large bowl, rub together the flour, butter, mustard powder, cayenne, polenta (if using), poppy seeds, stilton and a pinch of salt, using your fingers and hands, until the mixture forms a pastry dough.
- Knead the dough briefly until it really sticks together and is very lightly speckled with tiny bits of cheese. You can be quite heavy-handed.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll the dough into a sausage shape with your hands, about 25cm long and 4cm in diameter.
- wrap in cling film and chill for at least 1 hour. (The pastry can now be chilled for up to 1 week or frozen for up to 1 month. The pastry can be sliced and cooked from frozen but you need to cut it slightly thicker.).
- To bake the biscuits, preheat the oven to 190C/gas 5/ fan 170°C
- Slice the dough into rounds just under 1cm thick.
- Lay the rounds a couple of centimeters apart on a baking sheet (or two, if you are cooking all the biscuits at the same time).
- Put a very small piece of stilton in the middle of each biscuit.
- bake for 10-15 minutes, until the edges are starting to go golden and the cheese is bubbling.
- Leave to cool slightly before serving.
- The biscuits will keep for 2-3 days in an airtight tin.