Prep 5 mins
Cook 5 mins
From a newsletter I get regularly from grandparents.com, this recipe was described as "A little bite of cheese, a little bite of sweetness, a little bite of crispy & a whole lot of delicious". Just when you think dips have about used up all their originality, along comes a recipe like this to convince you otherwise. (Time includes 5 min to crisp the bacon while you prepare the dates) *Enjoy* !
- 1⁄2 cup Stilton cheese (or best-quality blue cheese, room temp, crumbled)
- 2 (8 ounce) packages cream cheese (room temp)
- 1 dash salt
- fresh ground pepper
- 1 dash cayenne pepper (optional)
- 3 -5 tablespoons heavy cream
- 1 cup dates (seeded & sml-diced)
- 8 slices bacon (thick slice preferred, crisp-fried, crumbled)
- Using an electric mixer (blender or hand-held blender), combine both cheeses w/salt & pepper.
- When blended, add cream until dip reaches desired consistency.
- Fold in dates & bacon. Serve w/dippers and/or crackers of choice.
- NOTE: Altho the recipe did not suggest this, I feel a chill time to allow the flavor to develop would be ideal . & . I think this would be best if allowed to approach room temp b4 being served. My thoughts, but your choices. :-).
Fantastic dip and a great way to show off Stilton. I think I'd better start subscribing to that newsletter. Do I have to wait until I'm a grandma? Chilled and then served at room temp.
This is the best, I love stilton and with the dates, this sends it over the top with goodness and savoriness. The neighbors heard the bell ringing, and came running throwing their hats and boots everywhere. We sat on porch this late summer afternoon, with tinkling ice tea, just sweating from the coolness in each in glass, and having chilled this since the morning and turned out to be the perfect solution for an impromptu relaxing bit of time gathering stories and catching up on the nearby farms news. Made for ZWT 6 - 2010