Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
These are based on the traditional Irish boxty pancakes. Maris Piper or King Edwards work well for this. These cakes are be frozen prior to cooking & will keep for up to a month.
- 700 g floury potatoes, peeled & quartered
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 85 g lean rindless bacon, chopped
- 4 spring onions, trimmed & finely sliced
- 100 g plain flour
- 1 egg yolk
- 100 g Stilton cheese, crumbled
- Boil the potatoes for about 20 minutes or until tender. meanwhile, heat 1 tbsp oil in a small frying pan & fry the bacon for 3 minutes. Stir in the spring onions, then fry for another minute.Set aside.
- Drain the potatoes, dry them out in the pan for over a low heat, then mash until completely smooth. Stir in the flour, egg yolk,bacon & spring onions, adds seasoning, then leave to cool slightly.
- Mix the cheese into the mash, divide into 8 equal portions & shape into cakes bout 1cm thick, with floured hands.If freezing do so now.Fry in a little oil for 3-4 minutes each side.