Recipe by Pink Penguin
These are based on the traditional Irish boxty pancakes. Maris Piper or King Edwards work well for this. These cakes are be frozen prior to cooking & will keep for up to a month.
- 700 g floury potatoes, peeled & quartered
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 85 g lean rindless bacon, chopped
- 4 spring onions, trimmed & finely sliced
- 100 g plain flour
- 1 egg yolk
- 100 g Stilton cheese, crumbled
Directions See How It's Made
- Boil the potatoes for about 20 minutes or until tender. meanwhile, heat 1 tbsp oil in a small frying pan & fry the bacon for 3 minutes. Stir in the spring onions, then fry for another minute.Set aside.
- Drain the potatoes, dry them out in the pan for over a low heat, then mash until completely smooth. Stir in the flour, egg yolk,bacon & spring onions, adds seasoning, then leave to cool slightly.
- Mix the cheese into the mash, divide into 8 equal portions & shape into cakes bout 1cm thick, with floured hands.If freezing do so now.Fry in a little oil for 3-4 minutes each side.