Recipe by French Tart
A very easy & tasty recipe which I first devised for using up the Post-Christmas Stilton Cheese, but now I will actually buy Stilton, when I can, or any other good quality blue cheese in order to make this supper dish! The only requirements are: good blue cheese and good "Country" style bread or home-made bread. I have used Walnut bread, Multi-grain Granary bread, French Baguette & Ciabatta bread in the past for this dish. There are numerous options and additions too - tomatoes go well on top as does a finely sliced spring onion. This recipe is great for a light supper dish with a crispy salad on the side & a good glass of Red wine too. I have also used this recipe for pre-dinner nibbles - you need to stamp out small rounds of bread if you wish to serve them that way.
- 8 ounces Stilton cheese or 8 ounces blue cheese
- 3 tablespoons cream or 3 tablespoons creme fraiche
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1⁄2 teaspoon English mustard or 1⁄2 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 2 ounces walnut pieces
- 8 slices bread
- 2 ounces butter
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- black pepper
- salt (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Pre-heat the grill the the highest setting and line a grill pan with kitchen foil.
- Put the cheese into a mixing bowl and mash with a fork.
- Add the cream or creme fraiche, Worcestershire sauce, mustard, black pepper, salt, (optional as the cheese is already quite salty) & the walnut pieces.
- Mix well & set aside.
- Place all the slices of bread on to the lined grill pan and toast until just golden brown.
- Take out and spread the UNTOASTED side with butter.
- Spread the cheese mixture over the top ensuring it is spread to the edges, otherwise they will burn!
- Sprinkle with the Cayenne pepper.
- Place under the grill and grill for about 2-4 minutes until the cheese is melted, bubbling & tinged with brown.
- Serve 2 slices per person with a crisp seasonal salad and a good glass or two of Red wine!
- The ultimate supper dish!
- If you wish to serve these as aperitif nibbles, stamp out rounds from the slices of bread and continue to assemble & grill as above. Serves about 8 people that way.