1/4 Photos of Stilton and Potato Soup With Cheese Croutons
French Tart's Note:
A delicious & extremely "grown up" soup recipe, and made with my favourite cheese, the King of Cheeses - Stilton! I make this every New Year's Eve and it is often on the menu throughout the rest of the year as well. It is excellent served as an elegant appetiser for Dinner Parties, as well as being wonderful for a romantic supper for two. This is a much-adapted recipe from Delia Smith's Christmas recipe book - one of my all time favourites. Be careful not to boil the soup when re-heating.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 5 ounces Stilton cheese, crumbled
- 1 ounce butter
- 1 onion, peeled & finely chopped
- 1 leek, cleaned and finely chopped
- 2 large potatoes, peeled & cut into small dice
- 1 tablespoon cornflour
- 6 fluid ounces dry cider
- 1 pint chicken stock or 1 pint vegetable stock
- 8 fluid ounces milk
- 2 tablespoons creme fraiche
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons chives, chopped finely
- 1Melt the butter in a thick-based saucepan, then add the prepared vegetables and some salt, and cook gently with the lid on for 5-10 minutes to draw out the juices.
- 2stir in the cornflour to absorb the juices and, when smooth, gradually pour in the cider – still stirring.
- 3Add the chicken or vegetable stock, cover the pan and simmer gently for 30 minutes.
- 4Then add the milk and Stilton and re-heat, stirring, until the cheese has melted and the soup is just below boiling point.
- 5Taste and season with salt and pepper, then stir in the creme fraiche.
- 6At this stage you can purée the soup in a food processor or with a hand held blender or, if you prefer the texture of the chopped vegetables, keep it as it is.
- 7Serve the soup with the Parmesan croutons & the chopped chives.
- 9Pre-heat the oven to gas mark 4/180C/350F or pre-heat the grill.
- 10Place the bread cubes in a bowl, sprinkle in the oil, then stir them around until the bread has soaked up all the oil.
- 11Next add the freshly grated Parmesan, and stir again till all the bread cubes are well coated.
- 12Spread them out over a baking sheet and either bake in the pre-heated oven for 10 minutes, or else place them under the pre-heated grill, turning as necessary. (If you use the grill, watch them VERY CAREFULLY as they can burn very easily.).
- 13The croutons can be made well in advance and stored in an airtight tin for up to two weeks.
Browse Our Top Bisques/Cream Soups Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Bisques/Cream Soups Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Stilton and Potato Soup With Cheese Croutons
Serving Size: 1 (362 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 749.9
- Calories from Fat 355
- Total Fat 39.5 g
- Saturated Fat 16.9 g
- Cholesterol 68.6 mg
- Sodium 1133.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 76.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 6.4 g
- Sugars 8.0 g
- Protein 23.6 g
The following items or measurements are not included: