Prep 10 mins
Cook 0 mins
A sophisticated salad swiped (borrowed) from the book 'Sumptuous Suppers' by Rose Elliot. Note: Prep time does not include marinating
- 1⁄3 cup dried cherries
- 2 tablespoons sherry wine or 2 tablespoons port wine
- 1 large lettuce, torn or 1 large the equivalent in mixed salad green
- 2 ounces Stilton cheese, crumbled
- 1⁄2 cup slivered almonds, toasted
For the dressing
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons raspberry vinegar
- 2 teaspoons superfine sugar (not icing sugar)
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Tabasco sauce, salt and pepper to taste
- Put the cherries in a small container and cover them with the sherry or port. Set aside to plump up - a few hours works well.
- To make the dressing beat together the olive oil, raspberry vinegar, sugar, cinnamon and several drops of Tobasco (less if you don't want much of a kick) and some salt and pepper to taste.
- Put the lettuce or mixed greens in to a bowl with the Stilton, almonds, cherries along with any remaining liquid.
- Drizzle the dressing over the greens and toss to coat.
- Serve at once.
What an intriguing salad! I was fortunate enough to have fresh cherries, so skipped the soaking. This dressing is perfect for when you really just want a drizzle of dressing since it is absolutely PACKED with flavor.