Recipe by lindseylcw
Scrumptious tea time treat, sticky toffee date scones topped with clotted cream or mascarpone and a good cherry jam, from Simon Rimmer.
- 225 g self raising flour
- 55 g caster sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 55 g butter
- 1 large egg
- 150 ml milk
- 100 g pitted dates
- 5 g bicarbonate of soda
- 100 ml water
Directions See How It's Made
- Sift the flour, sugar and baking powder together in a bowl.
- rub in the butter and then mix in th egg.
- pour in the milk and mix to form a dough.
- place the dates, bicarb of soda and water in a saucepan.
- over a low heat, cook gently until the dates soften and break down. Cool.
- Preheat the oven to 200C 400°F.
- fold the gooey dates into the scone dough.
- roll the dough out onto a floured board to 1 inch thickness and cut with round cutter.
- place round onto baking sheet and place in oven. bake for 10 minutes.