Recipe by Daydream
A new twist on an old Australian favorite, made especially yummy with the addition of crystallized ginger and Brazil nuts. Serve warm, with sauce poured over each individual serving, accompanied by vanilla icecream and whipped cream. Comfort food at its best - just don't look at the calorie count!
- 1 cup dates, pitted and chopped
- 1 cup water
- 2 tablespoons chopped crystallized ginger or 2 tablespoons glace ginger
- 1 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 2⁄3 cup superfine sugar
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla essence
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup self rising flour, divided
- 1⁄2 cup brazil nut, chopped
For Toffee Sauce
- 3⁄4 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 1⁄3 cup butter
- 1 cup whipping cream
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Butter and flour a 9 inch diameter spring-form pan and line the bottom with baking paper if desired.
- Place dates and ginger into a heatproof bowl, sprinkle with bicarbonate of soda, and add the cup of water which has been heated to boiling.
- Allow the mixture to froth up nicely, then give it a stir.
- Set aside and leave to cool for five minutes.
- Cream butter, sugar and vanilla essence with an electric mixer, then add eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- With a wooden spoon, fold in half the flour, followed by the date mixture, and then the remaining flour.
- Finally, fold in the chopped Brazil nuts.
- Spoon mixture into the prepared pan.
- Bake in oven for 30 to 40 minutes, or until skewer inserted into the middle comes out clean.
- (Make sure that you test for doneness after 30 minutes.)
- For the sauce: While stirring, melt the butter with the sugar, then add the whipping cream and bring to the boil.
- Reduce heat and allow sauce to simmer gently until slightly thickened and syrupy.
- Serve pudding warm with sauce poured over, accompanied with icecream and extra cream if desired.