Prep 30 mins
Cook 25 mins
A cupcake version of an old classic British pudding
- 1 1⁄2 cups self-raising flour
- 2⁄3 cup packed brown sugar
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 tablespoons sweet butter, melted
- 1 1⁄4 cups chopped dates
- 1⁄2 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons sweet butter
- 2⁄3 cup boiling water
- Preheat oven to 375°; line 8 muffin tins with baking parchment.
- In a bowl, combine flour and sugar.
- In another bowl, beat milk, eggs, vanilla, and butter until smooth and pale, about 2-3 minutes.
- Pour the batter over the flour mixture; stir with a wooden spoon.
- Fold in the dates; scrape mixture into the muffin pans, filling each about halfway.
- For the topping: sprinkle 1 tablespoon of the sugar on top of the batter in each cup.
- Add ½ tablespoon butter, then pour about 1 table water over each.
- Bake for 25 minutes; remove from oven and cool for 5 minutes in the pan.
- Invert onto plates, peel off the parchment; serve immediately.