Pudding - Cake I’ve tried a lot of different recipes for this delightful dessert, but this is so far the best.
- 8 ounces dates, finely chopped (about 1 1/4 cups packed)
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup boiling water
- 1⁄2 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 cup golden brown sugar, packed
- 4 large eggs
- 1 3⁄4 cups self-rising flour
- 2 tablespoons instant coffee granules
- whipped cream
- 2 cups whipping cream
- 1 cup dark brown sugar, packed
- 1⁄4 cup unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons unsulphured molasses
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- For Pudding:.
- Preheat oven to 350°F Butter 9-inch-diameter springform or bundt pan.
- Place chopped dates and baking soda in small bowl. Pour 1 cup boiling water over dates, stir and let cool, about 1 hour.
- Using electric mixer, beat butter and sugar in large bowl to blend. Add 2 eggs, 1 at a time, beating well after each addition. Add half of flour and beat to blend. Add remaining 2 eggs, 1 at a time, beating to blend after each addition. Add remaining flour and beat until blended. Add instant coffee granules to date mixture, stirring to dissolve coffee granules. Add date mixture to batter and beat to blend. Pour batter into prepared pan. Place on rimmed baking sheet and bake until tester inserted into center comes out clean, about 1 hour.
- Cool pudding until just warm. Unmold; poke holes in pudding with a skewer, pour ½ of sauce over cake. Cut into wedges and serve with whipped cream and more Caramel Sauce.
- For Sauce:.
- Bring cream, brown sugar, butter and molasses to boil in heavy medium saucepan over medium-high heat, stirring frequently. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer sauce until reduced to 1 3/4 cups, stirring occasionally, about 15 minutes. Stir in vanilla after sauce is taken off of heat. (Can be prepared 1 day ahead. Cover and refrigerate. Before using, rewarm over medium-low heat, stirring frequently.).