Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr
Traditional sticky pudding from Hunter's Head Tavern in Upperville, VA. Great for the holidays!
Make and share this Sticky Toffee Pudding recipe from Food.com.
- 1⁄4 cup unsalted butter, at room temperature (plus more for the pan)
- 1 1⁄2 cups sifted all-purpose flour
- 1 1⁄2 cups chopped pitted dates (about 6 oz.)
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 large eggs
- 1 1⁄4 cups packed light brown sugar
- 1⁄2 cup heavy cream
- 1⁄4 cup unsalted butter
- 1 teaspoon brandy
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- whipped cream (or vanilla ice cream)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Butter and flour a 6 cup Bundt pan, or 6 one cup Bundt pan molds.
- Bring dates and 1 1/4 cups water to boil in a medium heavy saucepan with tall sides. Remove from heat; stir in baking soda (mixture will become foamy). Set aside to cool.
- Whisk 1 1/2 cups flour, baking powder, and salt in a small bowl. Using an electric mixer, beat 1/4 cup butter, sugar, and vanilla in a large bowl to blend (mixture will be grainy). Add 1 egg; beat to blend. Add half of flour mixture and half of date mixture; beat to blend. Repeat with remaining 1 egg, flour mixture, and date mixture. Pour batter into pan (molds).
- Bake until a tester inserted into center of cake comes out clean, 40-45 minutes. Let cool in pan on a wire rack for 30 minutes. Invert pudding onto rack. Can be made one day ahead. Cover and let stand at room temperature.
- Sauce: Bring sugar, cream, and butter to a boil in a small heavy saucepan over medium heat, stirring constantly. Continue to boil, stirring constantly, for 3 minutes. Remove from heat; stir in brandy and vanilla. Can be made 4 hours ahead. Let stand at room temperature. Rewarm gently before using.
- Cut cake into wedges. Serve warm with sauce and whipped (or ice) cream.