1 hr 30 mins
Traditional sticky pudding from Hunter's Head Tavern in Upperville, VA. Great for the holidays!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter, at room temperature (plus more for the pan)
- 1 1/2 cups sifted all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups chopped pitted dates (about 6 oz.)
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 large eggs
- 1Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Butter and flour a 6 cup Bundt pan, or 6 one cup Bundt pan molds.
- 2Bring dates and 1 1/4 cups water to boil in a medium heavy saucepan with tall sides. Remove from heat; stir in baking soda (mixture will become foamy). Set aside to cool.
- 3Whisk 1 1/2 cups flour, baking powder, and salt in a small bowl. Using an electric mixer, beat 1/4 cup butter, sugar, and vanilla in a large bowl to blend (mixture will be grainy). Add 1 egg; beat to blend. Add half of flour mixture and half of date mixture; beat to blend. Repeat with remaining 1 egg, flour mixture, and date mixture. Pour batter into pan (molds).
- 4Bake until a tester inserted into center of cake comes out clean, 40-45 minutes. Let cool in pan on a wire rack for 30 minutes. Invert pudding onto rack. Can be made one day ahead. Cover and let stand at room temperature.
- 5Sauce: Bring sugar, cream, and butter to a boil in a small heavy saucepan over medium heat, stirring constantly. Continue to boil, stirring constantly, for 3 minutes. Remove from heat; stir in brandy and vanilla. Can be made 4 hours ahead. Let stand at room temperature. Rewarm gently before using.
- 6Cut cake into wedges. Serve warm with sauce and whipped (or ice) cream.
Browse Our Top Puddings and Mousses Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Puddings and Mousses Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Sticky Toffee Pudding
Serving Size: 1 (206 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 754.1
- Calories from Fat 222
- Total Fat 24.7 g
- Saturated Fat 14.8 g
- Cholesterol 129.8 mg
- Sodium 511.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 130.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.7 g
- Sugars 101.3 g
- Protein 6.8 g