Recipe by Shawnee TX
This is really a cake not a pudding. This recipe has many variations. Here cream, butter and sugar give it irresistible, gooey and rich topping.
Top Review by chocotanya
This turned out beautifully and how convenient to be able to bake it in a 9x13 pan, instead of steam in small individual pans like other recipes. I recommend making a double batch of sauce so you have plenty to pour over the cake. There is a restaurant here that specializes in this dessert and I had gone to get a serving many times - at $6.50 a plate - we could not tell the difference!
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 (8 ounce) boxchopped dates
- 2 cups boiling water
- 2⁄3 cup heavy cream
- 1⁄2 cup butter or 1⁄2 cup margarine
- 1 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 1 1⁄2 cups granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 3 1⁄2 cups self-rising flour
Directions See How It's Made
- Sprinkle baking soda over chopped dates in a bowl.
- Cover with boiling water and cool for 1 hour.
- Prepare toffee by heating heavy cream in a saucepan and set aside.
- Heat ½ cup butter or margarine and brown sugar in a medium saucepan to a boil and cook for 2 minutes while stirring.
- Remove from heat, stir in cream and set aside.
- Heat oven to 350 degrees.
- Grease a 13x9-inch baking pan.
- Beat ½ cup butter and sugar in a mixer bowl until fluffy.
- Add eggs and beat 1 minute.
- Alternately beat in self-rising flour and date mixture, beginning and ending with flour.
- Pour into prepared pan.
- Bake for 45 minutes.
- Cool in pan for 1 hour.
- Pour toffee over cake in pan.