Recipe by Bev
Serve this with Toffee Sauce (recipe follows) and a dollop of whipped cream. This recipe comes from a restaurant in New Hampshire Caffe Umbra and Bon Appetite Magazine. Cooking time reflects time to cool.
- 12 ounces pitted dates, chopped
- 1 cup boiling water
- 1 3⁄4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 1⁄2 cups golden brown sugar, packed
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 1⁄2 cups whipping cream, divided
- 1 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 cup unsalted butter
- 1⁄2 cup light corn syrup
Directions See How It's Made
- In a medium bowl, place chopped dates and pour boiling water over and allow to stand until cool.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Butter and flour 9x9x2" square metal pan.
- In another medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda and 1/2 tsp salt; set aside.
- In a large bowl, beat butter until light and fluffy.
- Add brown sugar and beat until well combined (mixture will look grainy).
- Beat in eggs one at at time, mixing well after each addition.
- Stir in vanilla.
- Stir in flour mixture in 4 additions alternating with date mixture, beginning and ending with flour mixture.
- Transfer batter to prepared pan.
- Bake for 40 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Spoon 1/2 cup Toffee Sauce over cake, spreading evenly over cake.
- Bake until sauce is thick and bubbly, about 8 minutes.
- Cool cake in pan until lukewarm or room temperature and serve with remaining Toffee Sauce.
- To Make Toffee Sauce:.
- In a large heavy sauce pan bring 1 1/2 cups cream, sugar, butter and corn syrup to boil over medium-high heat, stirring until sugar dissolves and butter melts.
- Reduce heat to medium and boil gently until mixture is thick and deep amber, stirring often, about 35 minutes.
- Remove sauce from heat.
- Whisk in remaining 1 cup of cream (mixture will bubble vigorously).
- Strain into medium microwave-proof bowl. To Make Ahead: Can be made ahead 3 days in advance. Cool, cover and refrigerate. Rewarm in microwave at 15 second intervals.