2 hrs 30 mins
Serve this with Toffee Sauce (recipe follows) and a dollop of whipped cream. This recipe comes from a restaurant in New Hampshire Caffe Umbra and Bon Appetite Magazine. Cooking time reflects time to cool.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 12 ounces pitted dates, chopped
- 1 cup boiling water
- 1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 1/2 cups golden brown sugar, packed
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1In a medium bowl, place chopped dates and pour boiling water over and allow to stand until cool.
- 2Preheat oven to 350°F.
- 3Butter and flour 9x9x2" square metal pan.
- 4In another medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda and 1/2 tsp salt; set aside.
- 5In a large bowl, beat butter until light and fluffy.
- 6Add brown sugar and beat until well combined (mixture will look grainy).
- 7Beat in eggs one at at time, mixing well after each addition.
- 8Stir in vanilla.
- 9Stir in flour mixture in 4 additions alternating with date mixture, beginning and ending with flour mixture.
- 10Transfer batter to prepared pan.
- 11Bake for 40 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
- 12Spoon 1/2 cup Toffee Sauce over cake, spreading evenly over cake.
- 13Bake until sauce is thick and bubbly, about 8 minutes.
- 14Cool cake in pan until lukewarm or room temperature and serve with remaining Toffee Sauce.
- 15To Make Toffee Sauce:.
- 16In a large heavy sauce pan bring 1 1/2 cups cream, sugar, butter and corn syrup to boil over medium-high heat, stirring until sugar dissolves and butter melts.
- 17Reduce heat to medium and boil gently until mixture is thick and deep amber, stirring often, about 35 minutes.
- 18Remove sauce from heat.
- 19Whisk in remaining 1 cup of cream (mixture will bubble vigorously).
- 20Strain into medium microwave-proof bowl. To Make Ahead: Can be made ahead 3 days in advance. Cool, cover and refrigerate. Rewarm in microwave at 15 second intervals.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Sticky Toffee Pudding
Serving Size: 1 (193 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 639.6
- Calories from Fat 313
- Total Fat 34.8 g
- Saturated Fat 21.4 g
- Cholesterol 143.8 mg
- Sodium 259.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 82.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.7 g
- Sugars 56.0 g
- Protein 4.8 g