Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr
Delicious moist cake with a creamy, buttery caramel sauce
For the cake
- 8 ounces dates
- 1 cup boiling water
- 1⁄2 cup unsalted butter, room temp
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 4 eggs
- 1 3⁄4 cups flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons instant coffee granules
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
For the caramel sauce
- 3 cups soft brown sugar
- 2 1⁄4 cups whipping cream
- 1 tablespoon vanilla
- 1⁄3 cup butter
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- FOR CAKE:.
- Butter 9X9 pan, line with parchment, butter again.
- Combine dates and boiling water in food processer: puree, let cool.
- In a bowl mix flour, salt and baking powder. Set aside.
- In another bowl beat brown sugar with two eggs.
- Add half the flour, beating to blend.
- Add remaining eggs, beat.
- Add remaining flour.
- To the date puree, add coffee granules and baking soda, stirring to dissolve.
- Pour date mixture into batter and beat to blend.
- Pour batter into prepared pan.
- Bake 45m to 1 hour, until tested comes out clean.
- FOR CARAMEL SAUCE:.
- Combine all ingredients in a heavy pan.
- Bring to a boil, stirring, then reduce heat.
- Simmer 5 minutes, stirring continuesly.
- Remove cake from pan. Cut in half horizontaly, keeping both halves together. Then cut into 16 squares, making 32 pieces.
- Serve warm. Place each piece on a plate, spooning 3 T warm sauce over the top of each.
- Sore any leftover cake and sauce separately.