Prep 10 mins
Cook 40 mins
I tried a slight turn on the original recipe by adding figs, grated carrot and pecan nuts. I love carrot and pecan cake and thought the two would mix. It turned out lovely especially served with Vanilla Ice Cream. The sauce is nice with added sliced Bananas or Apples, use your imagination!
- 1⁄2 cup dates, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup fig, chopped
- 1 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
- 1 cup boiling water
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup soft brown sugar
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1 1⁄2 cups self raising flour, sieved
- 2 small carrots or 1 large carrot, finely grated
- 1⁄2 cup shelled pecan nuts
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 1⁄4 cups double cream or 1 1⁄4 cups whipping cream
- 1 tablespoon golden syrup
- 1 tablespoon treacle
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1⁄4 cup shelled pecan nuts (optional)
- For the Pudding.
- Preheat oven at 180 oC.
- Place the dates and figs in a bowl with the bicarbonate of soda and cover with boiling water, set aside till needed.
- Cream the butter and sugar until well blended add the beaten eggs gradually to resemble a smooth mixture.
- Fold in the flour.
- Add date, fig and water mixture and blend throughly.
- Add grated carrot and nuts.
- Pour into a greased cake tin or latex mould.
- Bake for 30 to 40 minutes until a skewer comes out clean.
- Toffee Sauce.
- Place butter, cream, syrup, treacle and vanilla extact in a saucepan.
- Melt over medium heat until it comes to the boil, stirring frequently.
- Add nuts and fruit, if required.
- Simmer for 5 minutes.
- Serve Pudding with lashings of sauce and vanilla ice cream.
- Heat sauce prior to serving if it has cooled down.