Prep 10 mins
Cook 15 mins
Stuck for vegetarian barbecue ideas? These deliciously moreish mushroom skewers are sure to be a hit with everyone. This dish also tastes great served with noodles, chargrilled peppers and zucchini. Time does not include marinating.
- 2 tablespoons dark soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon chinese cooking wine
- 1 tablespoon clear honey
- 1 teaspoon vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon fresh ginger, grated
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 1⁄2 teaspoon Chinese five spice powder
- 9 ounces shiitake mushrooms
- Mix the first seven ingredients together in a large bowl. Add the mushrooms and stir well until they are coated in the marinade. Cover and leave to marinate in a cool place for at least 1 hour.
- Drain the marinade into a small pan and simmer for 1-2 mins until syrupy. Thread the mushrooms on to skewers then cook over hot barbecue coals or griddle or under a hot broiler for about 10 mins, turning frequently and brushing with more of the marinade. Serve hot.
Wonderful! Fresh shiitakes are great for grilling and the marinade/sauce on these is really tasty. Easy recipe, too! Thanks for this keeper.
These are so good and so easy to make. I used sweet Indonesian soy sauce and mirin for the cooking wine. If you like mushrooms and the taste of the grill, you will love these mushrooms. They are unbelievably good. Thank you so much for posting the recipe.