Recipe by KitchenManiac
Found this recipe on Donna Hay's cookbook titled "dining". Fantastic recipe. Taste exactly like what I have eaten at thai restaurants in thailand and back home. Very authentic...and an extremely special sweet after a fantastic meal.
Top Review by JenPo
I made double portions for a party and everyone loved it. I have had a similar Filipino version, but I think I prefer this one now. Not too sweet, with a nice citrus flavor, we all loved it.
- 1 cup glutinous rice
- 2 1⁄2 cups water
- 1⁄2 cup coconut cream
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 6 pieces banana leaves (15 cm or 6 inches square)
- 1 mango, peeled and chopped
- 1 teaspoon grated lime rind
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 1 tablespoon grated palm sugar
Directions See How It's Made
- Rinse rice well under cold water, then drain.
- Place rice and water in a saucepan over medium heat and bring to the boil.
- Allow rice to simmer until almost all liquid has been absorbed.
- Remove pan from heat and pour coconut cream over rice.
- Cover rice and allow to stand for 5-7 minutes or until coconut cream has been absorbed.
- Stir sugar through rice and set aside.
- Place banana leaves in boiling water for 1-2 minutes or until they are soft.
- Divide rice into 6 portions.
- Spread half of each portion over the middle of the banana leaf.
- Top rice with a sprinkling of mango, lime rind and juice, and palm sugar.
- Cover filling with remaining portions of rice.
- Roll up leaves and secure with toothpicks.
- Place leaf packages on a hot barbecue or char grill and cook for 2 minutes on each side or until rice is heated through.
- Serve warm or cold.