Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 30 mins
Cook 0 mins
This is a great appetizer; it take a little time to get everything prepared, but is worth the effort in the end -
FOR THE RICE
- 2 cups uncooked glutinous rice
- pre-cooked baby shrimp
- smoked scallops
- fresh plum
- enoki and shiitake mushroom
- preserved gingerroot
FOR THE COATINGS
- snipped chives
- toasted plain sesame seeds or black sesame seed
- brightly colored flying fish roe
- black caviar
- pine nuts, toasted
- chopped nori (thin sheets of dried seaweed)
- chopped fennel, tops
- 1⁄2 cup seasoned rice vinegar
- 2 tablespoons sesame oil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon chili oil
- 2 teaspoons low sodium soy sauce
- 1⁄2 teaspoon sugar
- 1 large scallion, cut into 1/2 inch diagonal slices
- FOR THE RICE:.
- In a heavy-bottomed pot bring 3 cups of water to a boil. Add rice and return to a boil. Cook for 1 minutes. Drain rice and return to pot. Cook, covered, over low heat 20 minutes. Let stand, covered, for 10 minutes.
- FOR THE FILLINGS:.
- Choose a variety of fillings., Chop items into small pieces. Combine according to taste. Some examples of good combinations: crab and avocodo; baby shrimp, jicama, and cilantro; duck and plums; smoked scallops and preserved ginger;.
- Set out a bowl of warm water, a clean dishcloth,for your hands, and a plate rubbed with oil. Moisten hands with warm water. Scoop about 1-2 Tablespoons of rice, mold around a small amout of filling, and shape into a 1-inch ball between your palms. Set on oiled plate. Repeat with remaining rice, wiping your hands as needed.
- FOR THE COATINGS:.
- Roll sticky rice balls in the coatings of your choice. Set on a platter or tray. Serve with dipping sauce.
- DIPPING SAUCE:.
- Whisk together all ingredients except scallions. Pour into a bowl, and top with scallions.