Prep 2 hrs
Cook 25 mins
from: Sunset New Easy Basics Cookbook
- 1 cup 2% low-fat milk
- 1⁄4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon granulated sugar
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 ounce active dry yeast
- 1⁄4 cup warm water (110F/43C)
- 1 large egg
- 3 1⁄4 cups all-purpose flour
- 6 tablespoons melted & cooled butter
- 3⁄4 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons water
- 3⁄4 cup coarsely chopped pecans
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- In a 1-quart pan, combine milk, 1/4 cup of the granulated sugar, oil, and salt. Bring to a boil over medioum heat; remove from heat and cool.
- Meanwhile, in a large bowl, dissolve yeast and remaining 1 tsp granulated sugar in the 1/4 cup warm water, stirring to miz; let sit until bubbly (5 minutes).
- Add milk mixture, egg, and 2 cups of flour to yeast mixture; stir until well combined. Add about 1/4-1/2 cup of the remaining flour to make a sticky dough.
- Turn dough out onto a floured surface and kneed until dough is firm, smooth, and no longer sticky (about 10 minutes), adding more flour as needed. Let dough rest on board.
- Butter muffin pan with 12 cups 2.5" in diameter. In a small bowl, combine 4 tbsp of melted butter, 1/2 cup of the brown sugar, and the 2 tbsp water. Distribute mixture among coated muffin cups; top mixture evenly with pecans. Press mixture into bottom of each cup.
- Roll dough into a 12-by-15" rectangle. Brush surface with the remaining 2 tbsp butter. In a small bowl, combine cinnamon with the remaining 1/4 cup bown sugar; sprinkle evently over buttered dough. Starting with one long side, roll rectangle into a cylinder, then cut into 12 equal slices (each about 1 1/4" wide). Place, one cut side down, in muffin cups. Let rise, uncovered, in a warm place until doubled (about 1.5 hours).
- Place muffin pan on a baking sheet and bake in a 350F oven until tops are golden brown (about 25 minutes). Invert immediately onto a serving platter; let pan remaint briefly on rolls so syrup can drizzle over them. Let cool for 10 minutes before serving.