Recipe by Room A5A
This muffin recipe was developed as the students in Room A5A were discussing the meaning of the word "Cajun." This muffin goes well with Cajun Yam-Pecan Bisque. Naturally, we served both for Mardi Gras.
Ingredients placed on bottoms of each cup
- 2 tablespoons melted butter
- 18 pecan halves, one in each cup
- 9 teaspoons brown sugar
- 3 cups flour
- 1 1⁄2 cups ground hot air popped corn
- 6 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 4 tablespoons melted butter
- 2 cups milk
- 2 eggs, well beaten
- 1⁄4 cup granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1⁄2 melted butter
- 1⁄4 cup brown sugar
- 1⁄2 finely chopped pecans
Directions See How It's Made
- Lightly spray the bottom of 18 muffin cups with Pam.
- Place several drops on butter also in each muffin cup.
- Place a pecan half in each muffin cup.
- Sprinkle 1/2 teaspoon brown sugar in each muffin cup.
- In a large bowl, sift flour, measure and sift with baking powder, salt, and sugar.
- Add milk, popped corn, eggs and melted butter.
- Stir and then divide the batter among the 18 cups for the second layer.
- In a smaller bowl, stir together granulated sugar, cinnamon, butter, brown sugar and chopped pecans.
- Divide 1/2 the batter among the 18 muffin cups for the third layer.
- With the remaning batter, fill muffin cups equally for the fourth layer.
- Use the remaining filling as a topping (the final layer) Bake in pre-heated oven (435 F) for 20 minutes.
- Makes 18 regular sized muffins.