Prep 20 mins
Cook 50 mins
Another winning recipe from BBC Good Food. Don't use a cake pan with a removable bottom or else all the syrup will leak out!
- 4 medium oranges
- 6 tablespoons golden syrup
- 7 ounces butter, at room temperature
- 7 ounces brown sugar
- 7 ounces self-raising flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 4 ounces ground almonds
- 4 eggs
- Heat the oven to 350 degrees F and grease a 10" or 11" cake tin.
- Finely grate the zest from two of the oranges into a large bowl.
- Cut the peel and pith from all of the oranges with a serrated knife, and slice quite thickly.
- Drizzle the golden syrup on the bottom of the cake tin.
- Arrange the best orange slices on top of the syrup and finely chop any that don't fit.
- Put all of the remaining ingredients into the bowl with the orange zest and chopped orange.
- Beat with an electric hand mixer until smooth.
- Spoon on top of the oranges, spread lightly and make a deep hollow in the centre of the mix with the back of a spoon - this will ensure that the cake rises evenly.
- Bake for 45 to 50 minutes until firm when pressed.
- Allow to settle for 5 minutes before turning out.
- Drizzle with additional golden syrup if you like and serve with custard or ice cream.