Recipe by *Z*
This is an adopted recipe. I will post any revisions after I make it.This dish is Movie Actress Susan Hayward's recipe, easy to prepare, tasty and hearty.
- 3 lbs beef top round steak, cut 3 inch thick
- 2 pieces beef suet
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 3 large yellow onions, chopped
- 1 tablespoon salt
- boiling water
Directions See How It's Made
- Cut the round steak into 3-inch cubes.
- Heat suet and butter in a large deep skillet or Dutch oven.
- Add chopped onions and cook until tender and browned.
- Remove from skillet and set aside.
- Put meat into hot skillet and brown thoroughly on all sides.
- Be sure not to turn the meat until it sticks to the skillet.
- Return the onion to skillet; sprinkle with salt.
- Add only enough boiling water to almost cover the meat.
- Cover and bring to boiling; immediately reduce heat and simmer 1 hour or until meat is very tender.
- Remove meat to a hot platter.
- Make gravy by thickening the pan liquid with a mixture of flour and water.
- Add seasoning if needed.
- Pour gravy over meat.