Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
For this recipe, excerpted from the book Baking with Kids, by Linda Collister (Ryland Peters & Small, 2006), you need good meaty spareribs or king ribs. For a filling supper, cook some large baking potatoes in the oven at the same time as you cook the ribs. I found this in a parenting magazine called Family.
- 1 medium red onion
- 3 tablespoons maple syrup
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce
- 3 tablespoons ketchup
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons mild mustard
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- fresh ground black pepper
- 3 lbs spareribs
- Preheat the oven to 375°F.
- Add a little oil to the roasting pan and rub it around the inside with a piece of paper towel.
- Peel the skin away from the onion and throw it away. Grate the onion into a large mixing bowl using the coarse or large-hole side of a grater.
- Add the maple syrup, soy sauce, ketchup, mustard, Worcestershire sauce, and 4 grinds of black pepper.
- Mix together well.
- Add the ribs to the bowl one at a time and use a metal spoon to thoroughly cover the ribs with the sticky glaze.
- Carefully lift the ribs into the prepared pan.
- Put the roasting pan in the preheated oven. Bake for 30 minutes and then remove the pan from the oven.
- Using kitchen tongs, carefully turn over the ribs so they brown evenly.
- Put the pan back in the oven and bake for another 30 minutes.
- The ribs should be a dark golden brown and crispy around the edges. Lift the pan out of the oven.
- Carefully transfer the ribs to a serving plate and eat!