Recipe by Ryana
This came from Gordon Ramsay's book, Fast Food. I found a video of him preparing it on the internet and had to try it. I've made a few changes, substituting some things for what I've had on hand, but it turns out absolutely delicious either way. It can be served with mashed potato or rice, it's very versatile. I like to have a fair bit of sauce to work with, so I don't reduce it as much as suggested.
Top Review by Zetty66
Once completed, this was a very flavorful dish. However, I did alter it some. First, I was confused about using a whole head of garlic with 4 breasts. I found the Gordon Ramsay video but that was no help--although he lists the garlic as stated here, he doesn't even mention it in his preparation. Anyway, I chopped 4 cloves of garlic. I also ended up adding more honey and the juice of another lemon to increase the flavor. Next time, I'll brown the chicken breast pieces and then remove them to let the sauce reduce down some before putting them back in (they got a little overcooked). I will be making this one again.
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 pinch sea salt & fresh black pepper
- 3 -4 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 head garlic, halved horizontally
- 3 sprigs thyme
- 1⁄4 cup red wine vinegar (can adjust to taste or preference) or 1⁄4 cup sherry wine vinegar (can adjust to taste or preference)
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 3 tablespoons honey
- 1 lemon, finely sliced
- 1⁄2-3⁄4 cup hot water
- 1 bunch flat leaf parsley, chopped
Directions See How It's Made
- Cut the chicken into large bite-sized pieces. Season with salt and pepper.
- Heat the olive oil in a large pan and brown the chicken pieces with the garlic and thyme.
- Once the chicken has browned, add the red wine vinegar and reduce by half. Add the soy sauce and honey and mix.
- Pour in the hot water (adjust volume according to how saucy you would like it to be) and add the lemon slices. Let it simmer and reduce down until syrupy, about 10 minutes or so. By this time the chicken should be cooked.
- To serve, sprinkle over some of the reduced sauce and chopped parsley.