Food & Wine Magazine, August 2008 edition. From Pairing of the Day: August 2008, Great Chicken Recipes: Wings, Breasts, Drumsticks and Thighs. Grace Parisi prepares a wonderfully sticky and nicely sweet glaze of fresh plums and red pepper jelly to brush over drumsticks while grilling. Hot red pepper jelly makes for a spicier glaze, sweet pepper jelly creates a milder one. We opted for the milder one because we made it for the home but we made a batch of the spicier glaze for us and it was wonderful! This is a fantastic and tasty recipe for the grill and the summer.Suggested wine: Juicy Primitivo: 2006 . Serve with the drumsticks, corn on the cob with any of the outrageous butter recipes on zaar, a yummy mixed-greens salad with garbanzo beans, bacon, sesame seeds and a champagne vinaigrette, and then for dessert something chocolate and DECADENT! ;)
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 12 chicken drumsticks (about 3 pounds)
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- salt, to taste
- fresh ground pepper, to taste
- crushed red pepper flakes, to taste (optional)
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup finely chopped red onion
- 2 red purple plums (4 ounces each) or 2 purple plums, pitted and cut into 1/2-inch pieces (4 ounces each)
- 1/4 cup hot red pepper jelly or 1/4 cup sweet red pepper jelly
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1/4 cup water
- 1Light a grill.
- 2Rub the chicken with the canola oil and season with salt and pepper.
- 3Grill over moderate heat, turning occasionally, until browned and cooked through, about 30 minutes.
- 4Meanwhile, in a medium saucepan, melt the butter.
- 5Add the onion and cook over moderately low heat, stirring, until softened, about 5 minutes.
- 6Add the plums and cook over moderately high heat, stirring, until softened and nearly broken down, about 5 minutes.
- 7Add the red pepper jelly and mustard and bring to a boil, stirring until the jelly is melted.
- 8Carefully transfer the mixture to a food processor.
- 9Add the water and puree until smooth.
- 10Season the plum sauce with salt and pepper.
- 11Liberally brush the plum sauce all over the chicken and grill, turning the drumsticks occasionally, until they are lightly caramelized, about 5 minutes.
- 12Serve the drumsticks with any remaining plum sauce at the table.
Browse Our Top Chicken Thigh & Leg Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Chicken Thigh & Leg Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Sticky Grilled Drumsticks With Spicy/Sweet Plum Sauce
Serving Size: 1 (315 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 543.0
- Calories from Fat 287
- Total Fat 31.9 g
- Saturated Fat 9.3 g
- Cholesterol 192.6 mg
- Sodium 231.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 19.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.9 g
- Sugars 14.5 g
- Protein 42.7 g