Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Food & Wine Magazine, August 2008 edition. From Pairing of the Day: August 2008, Great Chicken Recipes: Wings, Breasts, Drumsticks and Thighs. Grace Parisi prepares a wonderfully sticky and nicely sweet glaze of fresh plums and red pepper jelly to brush over drumsticks while grilling. Hot red pepper jelly makes for a spicier glaze, sweet pepper jelly creates a milder one. We opted for the milder one because we made it for the home but we made a batch of the spicier glaze for us and it was wonderful! This is a fantastic and tasty recipe for the grill and the summer.Suggested wine: Juicy Primitivo: 2006 . Serve with the drumsticks, corn on the cob with any of the outrageous butter recipes on zaar, a yummy mixed-greens salad with garbanzo beans, bacon, sesame seeds and a champagne vinaigrette, and then for dessert something chocolate and DECADENT! ;)
- 12 chicken drumsticks (about 3 pounds)
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- salt, to taste
- fresh ground pepper, to taste
- crushed red pepper flakes, to taste (optional)
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1⁄4 cup finely chopped red onion
- 2 red purple plums (4 ounces each) or 2 purple plums, pitted and cut into 1/2-inch pieces (4 ounces each)
- 1⁄4 cup hot red pepper jelly or 1⁄4 cup sweet red pepper jelly
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1⁄4 cup water
- Light a grill.
- Rub the chicken with the canola oil and season with salt and pepper.
- Grill over moderate heat, turning occasionally, until browned and cooked through, about 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a medium saucepan, melt the butter.
- Add the onion and cook over moderately low heat, stirring, until softened, about 5 minutes.
- Add the plums and cook over moderately high heat, stirring, until softened and nearly broken down, about 5 minutes.
- Add the red pepper jelly and mustard and bring to a boil, stirring until the jelly is melted.
- Carefully transfer the mixture to a food processor.
- Add the water and puree until smooth.
- Season the plum sauce with salt and pepper.
- Liberally brush the plum sauce all over the chicken and grill, turning the drumsticks occasionally, until they are lightly caramelized, about 5 minutes.
- Serve the drumsticks with any remaining plum sauce at the table.