Recipe by razra
This recipe is so lovely the gingerbread stays really sticky and moist but at the same time the cake is light not stodgy. I have no idea where the recipe came from as it has been a family favourite for years. I do hope you will enjoy this
- 150 g butter
- 175 g soft light brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons black treacle
- 225 g plain flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 teaspoons bicarbonate of soda
- 2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 150 ml milk
- 1 egg, beaten
- 2 dessert apples, peeled chopped and left to soak in
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
Directions See How It's Made
- Grease a square 9-inch cake tin and line with greaseproof paper/baking parchment (the tin needs to be quite deep as this cake can rise quite a bit!). Melt butter sugar & treacle over low heat; set aside to cool.
- Sieve flour baking powder, bicarbonate of soda and ginger stir in milk, egg and treacle mix.
- Add apples with the lemon juice that the apples have been soaking inches Stir together gently pour into tin and smooth surface.
- Bake at 160°F/325°F/gas 3 for 30-35 minutes until skewer inserted comes out clean (may need as much as 10 mins more on top of this time depending on your oven).
- Leave to cool in tin then turn out cut into squares and kiss goodbye to any diet!
- This recipe is also yummy when the cake mix is spooned into muffin cases to make smaller individual cakes/muffins!