Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
This recipe is so lovely the gingerbread stays really sticky and moist but at the same time the cake is light not stodgy. I have no idea where the recipe came from as it has been a family favourite for years. I do hope you will enjoy this
- Grease a square 9-inch cake tin and line with greaseproof paper/baking parchment (the tin needs to be quite deep as this cake can rise quite a bit!). Melt butter sugar & treacle over low heat; set aside to cool.
- Sieve flour baking powder, bicarbonate of soda and ginger stir in milk, egg and treacle mix.
- Add apples with the lemon juice that the apples have been soaking inches Stir together gently pour into tin and smooth surface.
- Bake at 160°F/325°F/gas 3 for 30-35 minutes until skewer inserted comes out clean (may need as much as 10 mins more on top of this time depending on your oven).
- Leave to cool in tin then turn out cut into squares and kiss goodbye to any diet!
- This recipe is also yummy when the cake mix is spooned into muffin cases to make smaller individual cakes/muffins!
Very good. A little tricky going from UK to USA measurements, but it turned out great. Thanks.