This recipe takes no time at all to prepare, and is simply delicious. It’s perfect for a well deserved tea/coffee break, but equally good served slightly warm with some good vanilla ice cream. My two young children love this cake-my 3 year old son calls it Mummy’s special ginger cake! It keeps very well and freezes well too!
- Set oven to 160°C Grease a 11 x 9" tin with baking parchment.
- Sift the flour, ginger, baking powder, bicarbonate of soda and salt into a bowl. Place the sugar, butter, syrup and treacle in a pan and heat until the butter has just melted. Don’t allow it to get too hot.
- Stir in the milk then beat in the egg. Pour in the dry ingredients and beat together.
- Pour immediately into baking tin and bake for 1-1/4 hours until firm to the touch. Allow to cool for 10 minutes, then turn out of tin and allow to cool completely.
- NB You can also add a few finely chopped pieces of stem ginger to the mix if you wish.