Prep 10 mins
Cook 2 hrs
If left for a few days this gets sticky. But, can you dare to leave it that long? The aroma in the oven will tease you. Easy and tasty.
- 8 ounces plain flour
- 3 teaspoons ginger powder
- 1 teaspoon ground mixed spice
- 1 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
- 4 ounces butter or 4 ounces margarine
- 3 ounces black treacle
- 4 ounces syrup
- 2 ounces soft brown sugar
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1⁄4 pint milk
- 1 ounce slivered almonds (optional)
- Put flour, ginger, mixed spice, and bicarbonate of soda into a bowl.
- Put the butter, black treacle, syrup, brown sugar into a pan and heat until fat has melted.
- Cool slightly and add to dry mixture.
- Mix in the eggs and enough milk to make a cake batter.
- Pour into a lined 7 inch square tin.
- Sprinkle with the almonds (optional).
- Bake in a preheated oven Gas 3 for 1-1/2 to 2 hours until firm to the touch.
- Cool on a wire rack.
- This gingerbread keeps really well, and will become softer and stickier the longer it is kept in an airtight container. But, will it last?