Prep 20 mins
Cook 50 mins
A warm and comforting dessert.
- 1 1⁄3 cups chopped dried figs
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 1⁄3 cups boiling water
- 1⁄3 cup butter or 1⁄3 cup hard margarine, softened
- 2⁄3 cup brown sugar, packed
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄4 cup minced crystallized ginger
CINNAMON BRANDY SAUCE
- 1⁄2 cup butter or 1⁄2 cup hard margarine, cut up
- 1⁄2 cup brown sugar, packed
- 1⁄2 cup whipping cream
- 2 tablespoons brandy
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Place figs in medium bowl. Sprinkle with baking soda. Pour boiling water over top. Let stand for 10 minutes. Process (with liquid) in blender or food processor until almost smooth.
- Cream margarine and brown sugar in large bowl. Add eggs, 1 at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Combine flour, baking powder and ginger in small bowl. Add to margarine mixture. Stir well. Add fig mixture. Stir. Line bottom and side of greased 8 inch springform pan with parchment (not waxed) paper. Spread batter evenly in pan. Bake in 350°F oven for about 50 minutes until wooden pick inserted in centre of cake comes out clean. Let stand in pan for 10 minutes before removing to wire rack to cool.
- CINNAMON BRANDY SAUCE: Heat and stir all 5 ingredients in medium saucepan on medium until boiling. Boil for about 5 minutes, without stirring, until slightly thickened. Let stand for 5 minutes. Makes 1 cup sauce. Drizzle over individual servings of warm cake. Cuts into 8 wedges.
- Company’s Coming Most Loved Treats.
This cake is really delicious! The cake makes up very moist, so it could be made up in advanced. Next time, I would consider cutting the recipe in half, using one of my smaller springform pans. I wasn't too crazy about the sauce, though. It is not a sauce that can withstand making up in advance and re-heating and I found it very rich. I think I would use a different type of sauce next time!!
My mom loves figs, and I wanted to make her a fig cake for her birthday. This one was delicious and the sauce was just the perfect touch. Very yummy cake!!!