Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 15 mins
Cook 50 mins
For lovers of Ginger... Perfect mid-afternoon with a coffee.
Make and share this Sticky Ginger Cake With Lemon Icing recipe from Food.com.
- 225 g self-raising flour
- 1 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
- 1 tablespoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground mixed spice
- 115 g butter, cut into cubes, plus extra for greasing
- 115 g dark muscovado sugar
- 115 g black treacle
- 115 g golden syrup
- 250 ml whole milk
- 85 g ginger in syrup, drained and finely grated
- 1 egg
- 50 g icing sugar, sifted
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest, finely grated
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- Preheat the oven to fan 160C/conventional 180C/gas 4. Butter and line an 18cm round, 7cm deep cake tin with greaseproof or parchment paper.
- Put the flour, bicarbonate of soda and all the spices into a large mixing bowl. Add the butter and rub it into the flour with your fingertips until the mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs.
- Put the sugar, treacle, syrup and milk in a medium saucepan and heat, gently stirring until the sugar has dissolved. Turn up the heat and bring the mixture to just below boiling point.
- Add the stem ginger to the flour mixture, then pour in the treacle mixture, stirring as you go with a wooden spoon. Break in the egg and beat until all the mixture is combined and it resembles a thick pancake batter. Pour this into prepared tin and bake for 50 minutes-1 hour, until a skewer pushed into the centre of the cake comes out fairly clean. Leave to cool completely in tin before turning cake out. (To freeze: wrap in greaseproof paper, then in cling film. Freeze for up to 1 month.)
- To make the icing, mix together icing sugar and lemon zest, then gradually add lemon juice until you have a smooth, slightly runny icing, adding more juice, if needed. Drizzle icing in a zig-zag pattern over surface of cake, turn cake around and drizzle again to create the cross-hatched finish.
- Cake keeps for up to 2 weeks stored in an airtight container.
Delicious! I might add more syrup and less treacle next time, but this was so moist and rich and the icing complemented it perfectly
This is a very good cake, my family loved it. The recipe makes a very large cake.