Prep 1 hr
Cook 1 hr
When I'm making chicken wings I often try several different recipes using one 5 lb bag of wings. This recipe is what I normally use for my baby back ribs but thought- why not try it on chicken! The result was flavorful, sticky, yummy wings. The recipe is written for one serving (6 wings) since I used the rest of the wings to try other Recipezaar recipes with.
- 6 thawed chicken wings, washed and patted dry
For the rub
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon paprika
- 1⁄4 teaspoon turmeric
- 1⁄4 teaspoon celery seed
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dry mustard
For the sauce
- 1⁄4 cup brown sugar
- 1⁄4 cup ketchup
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 3⁄4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1⁄2 teaspoon minced garlic
- vegetable oil (for frying)
- Mix all spices for the rub and sprinkle over the chicken wings.
- rub into chicken thoroughly (you may want to wear gloves since the turmeric will sometimes stain your nails).
- Cover and place in fridge for at least an hour.
- Heat oil in deep fryer or large skillet to 350°F If using a skillet make sure your oil is hot enough to cause bubbles to form when you stick the handle part of a wooden spoon straight down into it.
- Deep fry the wings in the oil until golden, about 7-10 mins then remove from oil and drain.
- Let the oil come back up to 350F and then place your wings back in frying oil until cooked through, about 5 more minutes (depends on if you are using deep fryer or skillet).
- Preheat oven to 365°F.
- Meanwhile, place all sauce ingredients in small saucepan and heat over medium low just until sugar is melted and flavors are combined.
- Drain the wings on paper towels then toss in the sauce.
- Place wings on top of some non-stick tin foil on a baking sheet and place in oven
- Baste with remaining sauce every 5-7 minutes turning each time until wings are caramelized and sticky.