Recipe by MarieRynr
Ok, this dessert is to die for, no kidding. Moist and sweet, full of sticky dates and lots of caramel flavour. The toffee sauce is it’s crowning glory. DO please make it, but if you want you can just serve it warm with some cold vanilla ice cream melting over the top. (Make the sauce though….you won’t be sorry you did!)
Top Review by Chef floWer
Outstanding!!! We all loved this Sticky Date Pudding. I'm not a baker and I basically don't love any cake or pudding I take out of my oven. I'm highly critical of myself when it comes to anything with flour, but this pudding was all eaten up. I made the pudding for a luncheon with some friends and their children. I had to hide a piece for hubby so he could taste it when he came home from work. For the pudding I substituted the butter with dairy free margarine and egg replacer for the eggs. For the topping I used dairy free margarine and lactose free cream to suit everyone dietary requirements. I like the way most of the measurements was in grams and the directions were easy to follow. Our pudding needed to be in the oven for 45 minutes but next time I will use baking paper to not get a crusty base (which wasn't noticed or mentioned by my guests). Thank you so much for a great recipe Tasty Tidbits. This will be made again and then over and over and over.
- 180 g dried dates, pitted, chopped
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 50 g unsalted butter
- 150 g brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 180 g self raising flour, sifted
- 150 g brown sugar
- 250 ml cream (you can use the same amount of carnation light evaporated milk, undiluted, makes it a lot lower in f)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla essence
- 20 g unsalted butter
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 180*C/375*F.
- Combine dates and baking soda in a heatproof bowl.
- Pour over 250ml of boiling water.
- Set dates aside till room temperature.
- Cream together butter and sugar in a large bowl till pale.
- Add eggs one at a time, beating until smooth.
- Fold in flour then stir in date mixture, including the water.
- Pour mixture into greased and floured 8 inch deep cake pan and bake for 30-45 minutes until cooked through; set aside for a couple of minutes before turning out.
- To make sauce, combine all ingredients over low heat, stirring until butter has melted.
- Simmer for 5 minutes.
- Serve hot!